One of the most popular Chinese soup dishes, hot and sour soup stands out for its tangy flavor, pleasurable texture and warming nature.
Hot and sour soup is the ultimate Chinese takeout staple. And, while many may know it by its numerical label on that tri-fold menu you have stashed in your desk, it's easier than you think to make at home (and worth the effort).
If you have tried Hot and Sour Soup then you know that is quite the culinary delight. It is difficult at best to explain to someone who has never tried it how all these different flavors can co-mingle so well.
The basic hot and sour soup recipe is a thickened broth, seasoned with white pepper and chili, flavored with white or black rice vinegar and soy sauce, and containing egg, fragrant mushroom pieces, ginger, and bamboo shoots, tofu, and meat (pork or poultry). It is often found on the menu of Chinese restaurants.
The combination of white pepper and rice vinegar creates a special pungent flavor. The key to the success of this delicious soup is the ratio of vinegar, soy sauce and white pepper.
If you have never made hot sour soup than you really must give this a whirl. Life is short and new tastes and experiences can be refreshing like a cool fall breeze on a hot summer day.
1 cup of shredded carrots
1/2 cup of bean sprouts
1 cup of bambo shoots
1 tbs. pure sesame oil
3 tbs. soy sauce
8 oz. firm tofu
1.5 tbs. sunfower oil
3/4 cup of green onions
3 tbs. rice vinegar
3 tsp. corn starch
5-8 oz. of pork/protein
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 cup of shitake mushrooms
1. Gently rinse dried shiitake mushrooms with tap water. Soak each of them with 1.5 to 2 cups warm water. Rehydrate until tender. Slice mushrooms into strips.
2. Combine pork, rice vinegar, salt and cornstarch in a bowl. Mix well by hand. Marinate for 10 - 15 minutes.
3. Add water and green onions into a pot and heat over medium-high heat.
4. Add rehydrated shiitake mushrooms and tofu to the pot. Cook until bringing to a simmer. Add soy sauce and turn to medium-low heat.
5. Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water in a bowl until cornstarch is fully dissolved. Slowly swirl the cornstarch slurry into the soup. Stir to thicken the soup.
6. Add the pork from step one into the soup, stirring several times to prevent the pork strips from sticking together. Add salt.
7.Slowly swirl in the beaten egg and stir well. The egg should be scattered and not clotted. 8.Serve hot. and Enjoy!
Watch to see how easy it is to make Hot and Sour Soup!
Have you ever tried
Goes perfectly with this
Royal Crafts Woods
You can’t go wrong with this model for its quality. Not only made out of 100% organic bamboo which is great eco-friendly and sustainably harvested, this cutting board is backed by the manufacturer with a lifetime warranty. If there’s any mistake derived from the producing process, Royal Craft Wood agrees to refund or replace a new one for you. So, just buy with confidence and feel ease in mind.
Available with Amazon Prime on Amazon.
Click on this link below to shop on Amazon today.
DISCLAIMER: This video and description contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support us to continue to make recipe videos like this. Thank you for the support!
Did you try the #hotandsoursoup recipe?
Take a picture and tag us on #socialmedia.
Write a Recipe Review today!